Tuesday, September 8, 2009

News, an album review, and more NEWS!

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to write and officially welcome everyone back to Ursinus for the 2009/10 school year. With that welcome, WVOU is bringing you a special concert!!!

Held in Wismer Lower Sunday, September 13th at 7:30pm, "The Living Things" are set to perform. They've toured with the SXSW festival, played this past summer's Lollapalooza, and are going to be in Joan Jett's new biopic film about her early career in the Runaways playing the Ramones. The show is going to be FAN-TAS-TIC so come on out and enjoy the live tunes.



The interview I conducted with their frontman over the summer is in the archives of this blog so feel free to read all about em'.

What else what else? We'll be at the Activities Fair this coming Wednesday 12:00-1:30pm so if you're interested in DJ'ing, or being part of Concert Planning or fund-raising activities to get more concerts for the Spring, please drop by and sign up. Also, bring your friends, cuz' we'd love to have them as well ;)


Lastly, my new good friend Vincent Discepola was kind enough to give me an album review so without further adieu, here's his written words on the September 22nd debut of Brand New's "Daisy"





"To me, a band like Brand New can appeal to so many different kinds of people. Their first release, Your Favorite Weapon, gave listeners an album full of enjoyable, pop punk songs. The next release, Deja Entendu, was not as poppy but, in my opinion, much more enjoyable lyrically as well as musically. Their third attempt gave listeners The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me. This album really showed a huge transformation in the band as it revealed a much darker side that many, including myself, did not expect.

So what about the new album?

I hadn’t heard much hype about the new Brand New album. I heard they were playing a couple new songs here and there and laying down some tracks, but it wasn’t until I heard they had a new single that I began to get pumped for the album. However, after finally hearing the single, I wasn’t so sure I wanted the band to get any darker than they already had with their previous effort. It wasn’t until I heard the single mixed in with the rest of Daisy that I really started to see where they were going with this album.

I began to listen to the first track, “Vices,” the songs starts with a woman singing with a piano, sounding like a song taken straight out of a black and white film. But that could only last so long before the band really shows you what they are about with this attempt. The rest of the song kicks in, and believe me, you won’t be ready for this Blood Brothers-ish first track.

After such an intense opening, I only expected the intensity to continue, but I was mistaken. The next track, “Bed,” mellows things down a bit before heading into the first single “At the Bottom.” The album continues through mellow moments, in your face sections, and even a country sounding instrumental track, “Be Gone” before bringing you to the title track, which is actually one of my favorites of the album. The final track, “Noro,” is not a bad closer for most bands, but considering how great all the other album closers have been by Brand New, I think this track is the biggest disappointment of Daisy.


Tracklist:

1. Vices
2. Bed
3. At the Bottom
4. Gasoline
5. You Stole
6. Be Gone
7. Sink
8. Bought a Bride
9. Daisy
10. In a Jar
11. Noro

My overall opinion is this: Daisy is not the band’s best work, but that does not necessarily mean it is a bad album, all I am saying is I expected more. I feel many parts of the album lack instrumentation like in their previous albums and the lyrics are dark but will not appeal to many like they have before. But this is just my opinion.
Please, if you are a Brand New fan or just a fan of music in general, go check this album out when it comes out September 22. I only ask that you keep an open mind when you listen to this album because it does not sound like the Brand New you once knew. Expect the unexpected. "

No comments:

Post a Comment